December 28, 2010

A Real Simple Apple Pie

I wanted to make this pie for Thanksgiving but I didn't own a food processor until my birthday so I made it for Christmas Eve instead! It was oh-so-delicious and gone by the end of the weekend! I got the recipe out of my favorite magazine Real Simple. Here's the recipe:


Ingredients

Homemade Piecrust or 1 store-bought piecrust, fitted into a 9-inch pie plate
1/2 cup cup cold unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into small pieces
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 1/2 pounds apples (about 5; such as Granny Smith, Braeburn, or Empire), peeled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Directions1.Set an oven rack in the lowest position and heat oven to 375ยบ F. Place the pie plate on a foil-lined baking sheet.
2.In a food processor, pulse the butter, ¾ cup of the flour, and ¼ cup of the sugar until large clumps form. Transfer to a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
3.In a large bowl, toss the apples, ginger, cinnamon, salt, and the remaining ½ cup of sugar and tablespoon of flour.
4.Transfer the apple mixture to the crust, sprinkle with the crumb topping, and bake until the top is golden and the apples are tender, 55 to 60 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

You can definitely taste the real ginger in the pie. I used a store bought pie crust and it was still good!! I promise!

3 comments:

Amanda @ Our Oklahoma Nest said...

This looks delish!

We really liked the Cupcake wine! I don't know much about wine, but I think I would describe it as a toasty flavor. If you like red wine, you should like it! It was really good with the pizza.

Pamela said...

Mmmm I've never put ginger in an apple pie. I'll have to try it. I love Real Simple, too. Even the feel of the magazine in my hand!

Krystle said...

Amanda: It was!! I'll have to pop it open sometime this weekend. I thought it would taste like a cupcake! =)

Pamela: I don't remember anyone putting ginger in their apple pies either but it was really good! I love Real Simple. I really need a subscription! Ha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...