September 01, 2010

Teal it in September!

September is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month. I discussed it a little bit in a previous post but I feel it deserves it's on post only because awareness for this disease is KEY! I've been fortunate enough to not have been affected directly by this but I've known people who have been affected! I've walked in walks with families who have been and I've learned about this disease because of these walks!

(Georgetown Cupcakes in DC! They look yummy!)

Ovarian cancer, also known as the "silent disease" or "silent killer" is an undetectable cancer and is so because of it's location. There are, currently, no tests to help diagnose so being aware of it's symptoms and catching it early is key! If caught early there is a 90-95% chance of survival! I'm no expert on the disease but there are organizations and foundations that do have the information! Kaleidoscope of Hope Foundation is the NJ based organization that I'm familiar with and the Ovarian Cancer Awareness Foundation is the Memphis based organization. There are a plethora of other sites to gain information from as well! Teal Toes is an organization spreading awareness by painting your toes teal! Teal Diva is also an organization spreading awareness to women in their 20s, 30s, and 40s about this disease. The organizer is a ovarian cancer fighter! Turn the Town Teal is another organization raising awareness by tying up teal bows around the town and distributing symptom cards and literature!

Why do I feel so compelled to get the awareness out there? Well first because of everything I said above but also if one person reads this and discusses it with another and then another and another and someone catches it in time well then I've done what every organization hopes to do! I've raised the awareness! And who doesn't want to do something good?! =) I also feel that these organizations, although many are up and rising, still don't have the attention, like other awareness groups do (for example: breast cancer). Plus, I like feeling like I'm a part of something and that I'm giving back to the community somehow! So this September raise awareness and wear your teal!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...